December 30, 2012 by Brian Rock
I tried a niche site last summer. Something about it just didn’t work for me. I have trouble building something and letting it go, and I always want to improve things. So, my attempt at a niche site ended up being a lot more involved (and not very successful traffic wise).
I was doing some keyword research for my EdTech blog, and I had an idea. Tech and Teaching is intended to be an authority site that addresses a lot of broad topics within the scope of “Educational Technology.” That makes it hard to narrow down the keywords and promote it to search engines.
I found a few good keyword clusters, though, and had an idea. What if I build a few sites around those keywords, perform some targeted SEO on those websites, and then link them up with Tech and Teaching?
I’m thinking it will be easier to drive search engine traffic to these blogs (as highly targeted websites) than to Tech and Teaching. While these sites can be profitable on their own, I can also use them to convert readers and send them to Tech and Teaching. Kind of a win-win situation… I think.
Anyhow, I got started this weekend. I put together a website about webquests. I got a theme, set up a new WordPress install, bought a .com domain (GoDaddy is having a $0.99 sale for the first year), and put up the initial content.
Moving forward, I need to write a few more posts to string the content along, and I wanted to put together a free eBook to offer for download to build a list. Maybe I’ll finish that within the next week.
Ironically, the first website I created (TeachBabel, which doesn’t exist anymore) was largely centered around webquests. Funny how things come full circle.